Sunday, June 15, 2008

Grand Canyon: Cottonwood Campground to North Rim

After some debate yesterday, we decided on a 4:20am wake-up time with an attempted departure time of 5:00am. I must have been keyed up because I never slept until much 3:00am. I was more or less packed by 4:20am.

It was a good thing we left when we did because the day turned out to be very hot and we got to spend the first 4 hours of our hike more or less in the shade. Even with that advantage it was a very steep climb and the trail was such that it got steeper the closer you get to your destination. The Suppai Tunnel made for an excellent oasis after a particularly steep climb (about mile 5).

We plodded along from there and absorbed as much cool air aw we could whenever we ran into shade.

We made it out around 10:45-11:00. Along the way we had been leap frogging a couple from Colorado. They had a car at the trailhead and offered us a ride to the lodge. They were cool so we hung out with them over pizza and drinks too.

This trip has been fantastic!... and now that we are out... it is still great. Our cabin is only about 50 feet from the canyon edge. It is fun to sit back and look back at where we came from. Definitely a sense of achievement. I can also see Humphrey's Peak from here (highest point in AZ). There is still snow on it and I should be at the top early next week! Sweet.

Tomorrow is a shuttle back to the South Rim, a drive to Las Vegas, and then Tuesday we fly back to Austin. I may see if I can make a flight Monday night instead so I can get back to the real world and close things up in Austin. I am looking forward to seeing Anne and the boys.

No comments: