Thursday, June 19, 2008

Black Mesa (Oklahoma Highpoint)

I guess I am a sucker for punishment but after climbing Guadalupe Peak last year, I started thinking about trying to collect state highpoints whenever I had the chance. The drive to Provo gave such a chance. I decided to hit Black Mesa in Oklahoma on the way!


The hike was pretty much flat with a short incline from the valley to the top of the mesa but it took a turn for the worse after I reached the summit (4973ft). As I turned around to head for the car, I noticed a mean looking storm in the direction of the car and within a few minutes, I also saw a lot of lightning.



I decided to double time it down which ended up being a very good idea. As I approached the trailhead, marble sized hail began falling from the sky. As I opened the car door, the skies opened and hail and rain came crashing down. I took off as quickly as I could and still feel safe.

I stopped a few miles away in a bend in the road to see this weather basically immediately above the location of the summit. Yikes! That was a close one.

No comments: