Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cheaha Mountain (Alabama Highpoint)


We had a pretty uneventful drive from Rutledge, AL to Cheaha State Park today but it was interesting to see things change as we went north.  We left behind the coastal areas and eventually reached rolling hills and even honest to goodness mountains as we approached the state park.  The route we took from Lakewood Park in Florida required us to meander through a lot of very small towns and kept us off of freeways almost the entire time.  That made for a more entertaining drive.

This particular highpoint is much more developed than most.  There was a lodge, campgrounds, chalets, cabins, restaurant, observation tower and a number of other facilities which were all part of a state park on the mountain.  From my experience to this point, most highpoints don't have near that kind of development on them.  Well, I suppose this all made the place unique in its own right.

As you can see from the pictures, the highpoint was socked in with clouds while we were up there.  After climbing and descending the observation tower it also began to rain.  That was our signal to jump back into the car and head for Atlanta where we will be spending Memorial Day weekend with my sister, Carolyn, and her family.

1 comment:

Connie Cockrell said...

Hey there,
So, someone is actually reading my blog, I'm so impressed! Yes, Randy and I have decided to move to Payson AZ. I'll really miss upstate NY, there's really no comparison for the "green" here. But, the southwest also has it's charms and Randy will avoid the dreaded 2 ft snow plowing every other day we seem to get in Upstate NY. Congrats on all of the highpoints you've tagged and not only that, you've gotten your kids involved and excited about hiking! Congratualations. I know I don't comment on every post but I'm following your travels with a lot of interest. Keep it up. I'm also on facebook; Connie Cockrell, if you keep a presence there.