Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mount Magazine (Arkansas Highpoint)


7 hours after heading down from Taum Sauk Mountain (Missouri), I arrived at the Arkansas State Park which Mount Magazine calls home.  Other than a speeding stop near Pocahontas, AK (got a warning... phew!), the drive over was pretty uneventful.  I did briefly question my wisdom in driving as far south as Little Rock (within 20 miles) when I needed to be at the Omaha airport in about 24 hours but it was too late for backing out!

This was my first time in the Ozarks and I left impressed.  The mountains and surrounding valleys were beautiful.  They reminded me of the Appalachians to the east.  Although I didn't stick around long (just a couple of hours), I did develop a respect for the area.  I arrived at the trailhead at 4:30 and 30 min later was back in my car and on the road.  Within the hour it was dark and I was back on the freeways working my way back to Omaha!

2 comments:

Anne said...

i am just happy you made it out alive.

Connie Cockrell said...

Hey there,
I look in now and again to see how you're doing. Great job on all of the highpoints. Stay with it, you're doing an awesome tour of the US in addition to "peak bagging". Stay well.
cjc