Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mt. Charleston (Las Vegas, NV)


Before coming to Vegas, I had never heard about Mt. Charleston but I quickly learned it is the biggest mountain around, is in the range boasting the only ski resort anywhere near here, and can be counted on to be at least 20 deg cooler than Vegas at any time. I was sold!

This Saturday made for the perfect opportunity to attack it. After hiking Boundary Peak, I realized I was pretty out of shape and probably wasn't quite ready for the much longer trip up Charleston but I decided to go for it anyway..... and I am glad I did.

This was one of those hikes that has it all.....


... as long as you are willing to tough out a 16 mile day!

I camped at the Kyle Canyon campground the night before. I enjoyed a campfire and a phone conversation with my Mom before field testing my bivy sack tent and getting some rest for the long hike ahead.

The hike starts with a steep 4 mile climb to the saddle just below Griffith Peak. The majority of the climb is a long series of switchbacks that traverse a wide variety of terrain and forest.. starting with an avalanche flattened aspen grove, past the base of a huge cliff, up through a pine forest (where snow still lingered) and eventually into grassy meadows as the trees thinned. From there the majority of the rest of the hike is a flat ridge walk until the last mile when you leave the treeline behind and hit the final ascent.

It took me 6 hours to get up (arrived just before noon) but that needs to include the 1-2 mile detour up a portion of Cathedral Peak. I really should pay more attention to the signage at the trailhead! It took me another 4 hours to get down. It was a full day and afterwards I truly did feel fulfilled.

1 comment:

Anne said...

beautiful pictures...and you look totally hot btw.